Monday, June 23, 2008

I've Gone And Flip-Flopped Again


Hate Shaq, love Shaq.

Love football, hate football.

Hate George Clooney, make him my idol.

I'm not sure why I do this so frequently, but this weekend I did have a conversation where I think I finally figured out why I flip flop so much: Because it's fun.

The conversation that made me realize this was one about Led Zeppelin. I told someone who I had met only a few times that Led Zeppelin sucks. The person I was with said I shouldn't do that because obviously Led Zeppelin doesn't suck (later, I would say that yes, indeed, I truly believe that Led Zeppelin does suck and I have lots of information to support that statement the primary of which is that not a band that is good today was influenced by these chuckahs and they also wrote "Stairway To Heaven") and that I should say something like, "Yes, Led Zeppelin is in fact a good band, but because I do not like a number of their songs and the fact that they aren't really relevant anymore makes me not like the. However, I do respect your thoughts and opinions on the value of Led Zeppelin and I appreciate why you like them so much."

But that's diplomatic and really, really, REALLY boring.

In fact, it's just no fun.

It's way more fun to say simply, "Led Zeppelin sucks."

So with this knowledge in hand, I realized why I flip flop so much. Because as I said in a previous post, I am ambiguous about virtually nothing. Part of that is done purposefully and part of that is because I usually do feel strongly one way or another. That said, I do reserve the right to change my mind.

And I've changed my mind on Coldplay and Chris Martin.

I iked Coldplay when "Yellow" was first released and I loved "Clocks" and of course, "Fix You." But for a long time, I've hated this band. Mostly for the same reasons that everyone else hates them: They seem pretentious, self indulgent, self important, cheesey, whiny, and completely overrated. I also used to get mad that they had some sort of weird credibility and that people whose opinions I trusted greatly (Waidehi and Steve) liked these whiny bitches.

But I saved most of my ire for Chris Martin who I found to be a complete poseur. It never helped him that he thought he was a rock star, did rock star things like try to save Africa, and I even hated him for marrying Gwyneth Paltrow, who seemed his female equivalent in terms of self importance. In fact, the crowning moment of my life may have been when there was the "Wanna know how I know you're gay... Because you like Coldplay" joke in The 40 Year Old Virgin.

But then a couple of things started to happen.

First, there was "Fix You." I always defended it, but with the caveat of, "It's a great song... For Coldplay (and as I've stated time and again, watch the video and enjoy those chills when the crowd sings along)."

Then there was the fact that nearly everyone hated Coldplay, especially indie rock snobs, of which I have a love/hate relationship with. And since I learned long ago from my non-conformist parents, it is no fun to do what everyone else is doing.

So a few weeks ago, I decided that I might want to have some backlash against the backlash, sort of like being a nonconformist in the nonconformist crowd.

Concern for my Love Coldplay Plan (LCP) was raised when I heard the very first single, "Violet Hill." I wasn't overly impressed. But I still decided to make enact LCP, even if there much anticipated album did suck. And then I caught a huge break: The Apple commercial featuring "Viva La Vida."

This song is on the fast track to being the most overplayed song of the summer. I don't care because it is also on the fast track to being the best song of the year. If this song doesn't having you driving 100 mph down the highway this summer, then music just doesn't move you. And if you aren't at least tapping your foot or whistling the chorus then not only does music not move you, but you pretty much suck because this song is off the charts.

I then couldn't wait to purchase the album and when I finally did last week, I was blown away. Not only is there "Viva La Vida," but there is also ridiculous "Strawberry Spring," the opening instrumental "Life In Technicolor," the dynamic "42," and the arena shaking (and the sure to be pre-encore closing song on the upcoming tour) "Death and All His Friends," and you have one of the years best albums. And oh yeah, the critics are with me on this one.

So my LCP was looking good but to be taken to the next level, something else was going to have to happen. And it did. Coldplay- and in particular, Chris Martin- starting doing interviews. And after reading/seeing these interviews I found something out. I love Chris Martin.

Given my ridiculous flip-flop nature, this should really come as a surprise to no one. But for those of you who haven't read any, you should know that he is the man. There is now a seat open to him at my table of dudes who are the men (Clooney, Pitt, Beckham, Beringer).

As it turns out, Chris Martin is funny, thoughtful, self aware, and he has an amazing knack to get the interviewers to like him. In fact, many interviewers say that he is the exact opposite of what one would expect him to be as he is self deprecating and thinks he is the least important person on Earth. In one interview, he claims that the record company should sell t-shirts that say "I Hate Coldplay" and pretend they are an independent group of Coldplay haters. He suggests that the company should set up tables outside of the show and they'd make millions. He's probably correct.

Chris goes on further to understand and appreciate the hatred of his band. He feels there last album relied on too much of the same and he also recognizes that they were in danger of being a one trick pony. He makes jokes about how he never got laid, even though he was supposed to be a rock star. He recognizes that his support of the Make Trade Fair initiative seems pretentious and God-Like, but he explains (very well by the way) why he does support it. Lastly, he knows his fan base is largely women and he even recognizes the The 40 Year Old Virgin joke as hilarious.

Chris Martin's public persona has done nothing to help him. His kid's name is Apple, he beats up the paprazzi, and he tries way too hard to be Bono. But he understands ALL of this and that's what makes him so likable. So give the guy a chance. Buy the new album, check out the performance at the MTV Movie Awards on youtube and read the interviews. Because there's a pretty good chance you'll like him. A lot.

And if all that still doesn't convince you, just listen to the words of "Fix You."

He wrote those. You didn't.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not gay and Coldplay still sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Being married to someone very successful...keeps you hungry to improve. You've got to be hungry. If your wife went out with Brad Pitt, you'd want to prove yourself, you know what I mean?"
    -- Chris Martin in Loose Talk, US Weekly June 30 issue.

    Serendipity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you'll flip flop and realize how good the NFL is

    ReplyDelete