Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bye, Bye Melrose


I hate when people talk about themselves. You guys should know this by now as I rarely try to talk about myself. I have never mentioned that I was the BHS Class of 1992 Best Dressed Male. I also never mentioned that I won and Academic Award for Gym Student of the Year. And I have definitely never talked about my blog or the fact that I listened to Pearl Jam when their album title was actually Mookie Blaylock and not Ten.

But I felt like after the email I got this morning, I should definitely spend some time this fine spring morning talking about myself. I'll let this speak for itself. Here is the email I received:

Re: Big News

Hey Gerard,

I know it's been awhile. How have you been? How is school? You should be in the stretch run by now, no?

Let me cut to the chase. After several years shopping your manuscript, someone has decided to take it on. David Mills at Penguin Group- a published located here in New York- has made a tentative proposal.

The details have not been finalized, but as I mentioned last month, Penguin has been reviewing No Long term Plan heavily and they want to send it to press. They are pushing for a summer release as the feel it will make for great (and coveted!) "beach reading."

They are proposing a first run of 5,000 copies and they want to go hardcover. They originally wanted to go in the direction of a trade paperback, but I really wanted the hardcover and I know you did as well.

I do not want to get you overly excited about the final details, but I've already called you twice this morning and if you could get back to me immediately, that would be much appreciated. You will have to come out here to New York as we still need to dot some i's and cross some t's, but my early reaction is a very positive one. We have discussed money only slightly, but Penguin usually likes to go with an advance of between $50,000 and $75,000, especially given my success with Emily's books.

Doug Ross, my assistant, will be drawing up the paperwork today and he will fax it over to you. When you arrive here in New York, we can go over the contract or if you'd like, you can hire a lawyer of your own. But if you want to save yourself some money, we can use our contract attorneys here at Literary Inc. In addition, I've worked with David before, so he should use similar language and it is stuff that you will easily understand.

So I'm very excited Gerard. Your patience has paid off. It looks like you might have to find some time to get out here next week and like I said, I'll have a proposed contract for you faxed today.

Be well Gerard and congratulations. We'll talk soon...

-Angie


Looks like this teaching thing is over...

6 comments:

  1. I want my $40 back from Saturday's tab. Can I have the Jetta when you upgrade?

    I saw Mookie Blaylock open for the Stones at Sir Morgan's Cove in 82.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap!

    That is so exciting! I am so happy for you! I can't wait to sell stories about you to the tabloids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shit. Tim just pointed out what day it is. You suck. (maybe you suck, if this isn't true, haha, im pretty gullible as it is)

    damn. when will i learn.

    but what if you aren't lying... haha. then i am definitely selling stories to tabloids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, white people really like stupid April Fools' Day pranks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not bad, pretty funny, looks like you got a few people, I like the picture the most cause that totally gives it away

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerard, if this book deal doesn't pan out at least you can fall back on your 168 MPH whiffleball fast ball.

    ReplyDelete