Monday, March 10, 2008

Longing For The Days of Must See TV


I watch an exorbitant amount of television (not among the stuff white people like) and I really want something to be "must see." I was really hoping The Office would be that show, but it's just not. Probably because of Michael, who makes me so uncomfortable I want to punch him. And I bet Lost and The Wire are both great, but I don't tune in.

I blame part of the lack of must see TV on DVR for while it has made TV certainly easier to watch, there is never that sense of "OMIGOD! I'm so excited (insert show) is on now." Also, the fact that you can rent or buy most shows hurts this OMIGOD feeling as well.

But really, I just don't think that there is that much great on these days (and so don't even ask me why I watch some much TV). Consistency is really hard for the medium of television as it much harder to make 100 hours of great entertainment as opposed to two hours as movies can do.

But I want to have that feeling again. I WANT to rush home from my night school to tune into a show or count the be excited for a Tuesday night. But I'm not. And that got me to thinking.

What, historically, are the shows that were "must see" (should I thank Friends era NBC for this phrase by the way?)? So, because I love lists, I came up with a list of the 18 shows that were must see for me. I may have forgotten a few, but this is what I gots for now. Few ground rules:

You don't have to like them now. You can be embarrassed to have watched them and/or pissed that such a good show jumped the shark. But, at any given point in your life, what was "must see?" What shows did you NOT want to miss an episode of? To make this list, I believe you have to have some very specific memories of the show. Not neccessarily the names of characters or specific plot lines, but were there episodes that forever stuck with you? This doesn't automatically mean the show was must see, but if you had great memories of it, it was probably pretty damn good.

So here is my complete list with the specific year/season I felt they were can't miss.

Note: How I Met Your Mother- a show that could easily be on here can't qualify because I have to work Monday nights and Flight of the Conchords- currently the best show on television- I only saw on DVD. But when it returns, you can be sure I will be tuned in, every Sunday night at 10:30.

18. Cheers (Seasons 9-11): As a Bostonian who grew up at the peak of this show (truthfully, I probably would have liked it more if I were about five years older), many of you probably feel like it should be in my top three. But it's not. I remember thinking that it was MUST SEE at the time, but I just don't have the fond memories I have for this show that I have for others. I remember Woody being hilarious and I remember Cliff and Norm having some great dialogue. However, I remember also hating Shelley Long and never understanding why everybody liked Coach and Lilith. So it couldn't have been that good. I'm putting it here more because I REMEMBER it being must watch, I just don't remeber why. But it sneaks in, even though I had a tough time justifying it. I'm kowtowing to all you Cheers lackey's I guess.

17. Mad About You (Season 2 and 3): You think I'm cheesey and emotional now, you should have seen me at the height of my Lloyd Dobblerness. Liking this show is pretty much the low point of my life (that and the 1992 Senior Profile currently hanging on my fridge), but I loved it. I truly believed Jamie and Paul's relationship and it always seemed like they were having so much fun. And that's exactly what I wanted at the unjaded, hokily romantic age of 19. Plus, the show made you laugh. And it made marriage seem fun..... Insert whatever comment you'd like right here_________________.

16. Roseanne (Seasons 2-4): I really can't put my finger on what I liked som much about the show, given the worthlessness of the title character. The fact that John Goodman has had a somewhat successful career (The Big Lebowski) gives my argument some legitimacy because it was John as Dan Connor who carried the show. Even as an angry teenager who hated his parents (one of the things white people like by the way), I always loved Dan. He was such a great dad and he was always so funny. I'd like to hear what sociologists/family psychologists say about this show because even though they were dysfunctional trailer trash, they somehow managed to function. And it was always Dan who made them work. I remember loving the Halloween specials and I also remember nearly crying at an epsiode where he knew he screwed up with his kids and he said sorry and then made them shakes- two things my dad was really good at doing.

15. Beverly Hills 90210 (Season 6): In typical Gerard fashion, I changed my mind about this show. I used to take shits on people who liked it, then, our senior year at The Greatest University In The Nation, my housemates and I decided to watch it (I tuned in largely because of the addition of a then unknown Rebecca Gayheart who I was pretty sure was going to be my wife). It turned out that I found the show ridiculously preposterous, but highly entertaining. I also wouldn't know that the four central male characters would have such an influence on my life. I hate both Brian Austin Green and Ian Ziering because they have been/are married/engaged to two of the hottest girls in Megan Fox (my current #1) and Nikki Ziering (make all the plastic surgery jokes you want). Then, Luke Perry and Jason Priestley introduced me to sideburns, which as I discussed in a previous post, I have never stopped loving.

14. Starblazers (1980-1981): This is an entry to make me A) Seem like I have more pop culture knowledge than you and B) Feel young again. I can't remember what grade I was in when this was on as it only had a few seasons and was on a constant loop after school, but what I do know is that I was devestated when they moved the time of Starblazers to 2:30 and I wasn't able to get home in time to watch it. I won't bog you down with plot and details, but the show is the reason why I know the crossword clue Jason's Ship because I learned from Starblazers that the Argo (the Star Force's main ship) was named after Jason's ship. Unfortunately, there was no wikipedia when I was seven, so I couldn't look up who "Jason" was, but I still knew that the Argo was named after him. Later, after I saw Friday The Thirteenth, I thought that maybe the ship was named after Jason Vorhees (I never claimed to be smart in my youth).

13. Family Ties(Season 3-7): I loved this show. I loved how funny the dad, Michael was and I loved how the show would pan to Alex right after Mallory said something ridiculous. We KNEW Alex P. was going to say something hysterical and so we would laugh BEFORE he even said anything. Couple that with hilarious Skippy and Mallory's deadbeat boyfriend Nick and the show had a great dynamic. Unfortunately, the worst episode (Alex's friend dying) is the most memorable (I wanted more funny) and the fact that I can't remember the day of the week it was on hurts it. But I remember like yesterday the awesome series finale when the cast came out and took a bow. It was a show ahead of its time that has some great writing and I always watched it, so must see it was.

12. The Cosby Show (Seasons 1-3): Like Family Ties above, I can't remember specifically when this was on (Thursdays at 8?), but I always laughed at Cliff. I recall him trying to break up a fight between the Theo and Vanessa got in a fight. There was also a hilarious epsiode when Cliff bounced the fat neighbor kid on his knee and got housed by him. Physical comedy was always Bill's niche and this show took advantage of it. There are certainly better shows historically, but not much on TV beats it right now.

11. The Wonder Years (Seasons 1-5): Can't remember what night it was on, can't remember all the characters names. But what I can remember is the voice over and some hilarious moments. Two moments that come to mind are when Fred Savage's Kevin had a huge zit and did everything in his power to cover it up (including washing it which left him with..... A really, REALLY clean zit) and when his mom took him to try on some pants and while in front of a cute, older check out girl, grabbed his crotch area and said, "Yup. Plenty of room down there." I also loved the relationship with Paul, but my favorite moment came in an episode when Kevin was caddying for his Dad's rival who was playing Kevin's dad in a $100 match of golf. Kevin's dad had a putt to win the match but, knowing his son would not be tipped if he won the match, muffed it and let his sworn enemey win. All so his soon could get a fat tip. I still remember the look Kevin gave his dad when he realized what happened and his dad refusing to admit that indeed, he lost for his son. Guess I'm a sucker for Dad moments.

10. Spin City (Seasons 2 and 3): This show snuck by many people and that is too bad because it had an absolutely hilarious ensemble cast. Yes, it was awful when Heather Locklear arrived but we forget just how awesome Michael J. Fox is. This guy is such an underrated talent (watch Back To The Future one of the 472 times it is on TV this week. It weathers time very well) and with the bumbling mayor and his office full of misfits, this show was seriously must watch. I'm pretty sure it started on Wednesday's, moved to Tuesday's ahead of NYPD Blue (you'll hear from that again) and then went back to Wednesday. More importantly though, I remember clearly some hilarious epsiodes like when homophobic Stuart (Cameron Frye of Ferris Bueller) had to move in with Carter (the gay dude). There were some hilarious scenes. But nothing topped the episode when The Mayor told a bunch of kids there was no such thing as Santa and Mike had to do some insane spin control. It was hilarious. As a side note, the show had an inordinate number of hot girls, given it wasn't a show about hot girls.

9. 24 (Seasons 2-4): I missed season 1, which I heard was the best. But this literally was a "race home from my night school" show. It became beyond watchable, but that's not the point. At it's peak, it was a phenomenally great show that was hugely impactful. The greatest part of the show were the secondary characters as Tony Almeida might be the best dude ever. The President as played by Dennis Haysbert was incredible as was Michelle. Throw in some great bad guys (made greater by the fact that they were TELEVISION bad guys, which is harder to do) and you have another one of my must watches.

8. The Real World (Chicago, San Diego, Austin, and Paris): Because my parents deprived me of cable as a young person and because I thought I was "different" than everyone in college and thus, didn't watch MTV, I got to this show way late. But when I did, man was it awesome. It's lost its luster as the "real" characters now just play characters of past Real World characters (Klosterman explains this point much more eloquently and funnier than I do), but these four seasons gave us some great people. It gave us Tonya and made us realize that all girls REALLY ARE hypochondriacs. It also gave us the Kyle face (the most worthless dude ever), The Biggest Masshole Evah in CT, and a Billerica tool named Danny. On a good note, the San Diego season gave us the hottest Real World girl (and possibly the most annoying) in Cameran and my boy, Brad. No, not Pitt, but awesome Brad from San Diego who is the direct opposite of a tool. In fact, he is so ridiculously likeable that it's a wonder he even got on the show. He also has the best drunken moment ever when he calls his roommates and tells them to come pick him up from the jail without specifying which jail he is in. Brad is going to be in my Fave Five with Clooney, Pitt, Beckham and Matt Beringer of The National. We'd make a sick six man team. Not sure what we're teaming up for or how we're meeting, but it's gonna happen.

7. Survivor (Seasons 2,3,5,6): I know that The Real World came first, but Survivor was and is still great television. Probst is the most unbelievable host and I mentioned him in my Seacrest post, but he really does a great job of handling the show. Plus, tribal council still makes for great television. I often wonder though, when we are getting our first post voted off ripping. If I got bounced by some half wit, I'd put my torch out and go right over the top. THAT would be good TV. Despite that flaw, the show has brought us some great characters (Colby was so nice it almost made me sick) and it has also brought us some extremely dislikable characters. While the characters aren't near as polarizing as the Real World ones (and polarizing is fun), they still have had people you hate. I mean, CT and Billerica Danny did a great job representing Massholes, but is there someone worse than "Boston" Rob? If I ever meet the guy, I'm going to ask him when exactly Canton moved twenty miles north and ended up actually IN BOSTON.

6. American Idol (Season 2): Watching the train wreck of Justin Guarini (think he still has that hair? Or those I-think-I-have-the-runs looks on his face?) in season one was awesome, but it was season two when the show crested. The fact that there were two really good finalists (the less successful guy appears to have won by the way) helped immensely. And while Ruben might not be burning up the Top 40 now, he was such a talented and likeable guy while on the show. Yoy genuinely got the sense that he loved being there and that he truly appreciated every minute. Not once was this guy arrogant. Also, this was the first time my a-black-person-will-never-win-anything argument was debunked (by the way, the same one will be used right up until the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November) and I loved tuning in to see if America would pitch the big, scary, black dude in favor of the aw shucks white dude. I was wrong. Not the first time by the way.

5. Jeopardy! (All the time): This is a cheat, but whenever I'm home at 7:30, it's on. Movies can wait, the Sox and Cees just started, and Seinfeld has been moved off of the same time slot. Plus, is there anything better than crushing Final Jeopardy when a few friends are around? I know my friends love it, because then they have to hear about all night. If only I hadn't gotten a negative 17 on the Jeopardy! test, I may have been a contestant for real.

4. NYPD Blue (Seasons 4 and 5): I have no doubt that The Wire, The West Wing, and Law & Order are great shows, but drama never did it for me. Except for this show. These two seasons were after the hype died down and it was at the top of its game. We all loved Sipowicz and his name still inspires a fashion insult (as when one wears a short sleeve button down with a tie, it has to be called, "The Sipowicz") but it was Smits as Bobby Simone that helped the show make the jump. Throw in the awesome Lieutenant, Detectives Medavoy and Martinez, and a great Kim Delaney and you had one of the best casts going. I still to this day find the Delaney/Smits relationship as one of the most believable fictional relationships and it was their storyline that always kept the show balanced. While it tanked in later years, seasons four and five of "The Blue" were perfect television.

3. Late Night With David Letterman(Summers of 1991-1993): Remember, the dude was still on at 12:30 then, so unless I wanted to sleep through first period Latin (which I pretty much did, ergo the retaking of it in college), I could only consistenly watch it during the summers. And watch I did. This guy is still a genuis (and he gets the best musical guest going), but those summers were particularly memorable. He was battling Leno for Carson's spot at this time and I remember vehemently defending and promoting the awesomeness of Dave (and Larry "Bud" Melman, likely the most unintentionally hilarious person to ever walk the Earth. Where Dave found him still befuddles me.) and his show. Like the War in Iraq, my opinion (which was in the minority) on the late night battle has proven correct as Dave makes Leno seem as funny as HIV. These days, Dave is still amazing, but it was in those nights before his move to CBS that he truly shined. And in terms of unforgettable moments, I still remember Dave handing out canned hams to the audience and imitating the CBS execs by saying, "We signed this guy for $100 million and he's passing out hams?" Classic Dave.

2. Entourage (Seasons 2-Present): Yes, I know it's new, but that's EXACTLY why it has to be ranked this high. HBO replays the show 71 times during the week and I can DVR it whenever I want, but I just HAVE to be home at 10 on Sunday nights during the summer to see the best thing currently on TV. Some people think the show has petered out and that it is dangerously close to jumping the shark, but I will always disagree. It is perfect and in an era of 289 channels and 7986 television shows to choose from, the fact that there is only ONE show I must be home for has to be worth something, no? And if you need more support, it's got Drama, who as I age, I am becoming eerily similar to. I think that should worry me.

1. Seinfeld (All seasons, but 8-10 are ridiculously awesome): What is there to say? I'll give you this story to show the importance of Seinfeld... In the Happy Valley, my roomates and I would split Michelob Light 18 Packs (Do they still make these by the way? A pre game of nine beers was PERFECT at 21!) as we showered and got ready for... Seinfeld (at precisely 9:30:01, we'd be off to Time Out). I mean, it could have been all-girl-save-for-us six-moron-dudes/free beer night Uptown and we STILL wouldn't go out until the conclusion of Seinfeld. And Seinfeld was on Thursdays!!!!! The best drinking night of the week at The Zoo!!!!! So any show that delayed my attending a bar and getting extremely drunk had to be must watch TV, right?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but the ultimate count down for shows to air is Lost. It is so addicting. I never watched the show until last year because it is the exact type of show I hate. I had no interest in it... then I figured I'd watch the first episode on DVD... From that moment on, Tim and I became true Lost addicts.

    The only way I can describe it is, "WHAT!>" (> is a question mark!) The writing is unreal. I highly recommend snagging the complete series and plopping on the couch for hours... It is worth it. Not to mention, you'll like Evangelie Lily (I can't spell her name)... but after months on the island she is ridiculously hot. haha... As is Matt Fox. Speaking of, Party of Five was a goody. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a pretty good list.

    How about:

    Lost in Space
    Fantasy Island
    Speed Racer
    Gilligans Island

    You can tell what I did with my weekday afternoons.

    You should be ashamed of yourself for leaving Melrose Place off of the list. Man up and bump 90210 up into the top 5 where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete