Thursday, September 4, 2008

Well, At Least I'm Younger Than Them


I'm old.

There's much to write about these days. I could write about all the black people at the RNC, but that wouldn't be long. I could also write about how Dustin Pedroia has become the best player in baseball. I could even write bout the worthlessness of Fantasy Football, but happily, I feel the backlash to that idiotic activity these days. Like poker, it's not as big as it once was. I could also write about how I may be wrong about those fading Rays (but I'll be right, you'll see!) or shred the new Pacino/De Niro certain flop (it makes less than 10 million, I guarantee). Or I could discuss the awesomeness of this fall's live music scene. Or lament the fact that Heidi Whatney may be banging a big assed, flat topped, .210 hitting Jason Varitek.

But I couldn't get juiced up for any of those because I was busy feeling bad for myself because I realized I'm old. When did this realization come to fruition? When I made a reference to The Breakfast Club and a student of mine said it was "mad old."

Old? What? Are you kidding me? No way. In fact, I disagreed so wholeheartedly that I got really pissed. I spent the rest of the afternoon cursing the stupidity of today's youth and their non appreciation for all things great. I mean, could they turn off Gossip Girls, shut off their iPod, and get off of Facebook for a few seconds? Can't they appreciate all the greatness that has come before them because if they thought superbad Superbad was funny, then they know nothing! Funny was the eighties and nineties I tell ya! Funny was Marty McFly, Lloyd Christmas, Farley and Spade, Fletch (that's for you Hayes), Caddyshack (that's for you Wall), Animal House (Thornton), and The Big Lebowski (Mike). Those are (were?) funny! And by god so was (definitely WAS) The Breakfast Club!

But you know what? My new student was correct. The Breakfast Club is old. And to this young woman- who was born in 1992- The Breakfast Club is indeed, Mad Old. And once I thought about it, not only is it old, but it's not that good. How do I know this? Why, I watched it just five days ago.

While The Simple Minds are great, Principal Vernon is hilarious (I can't believe that I related to him the most!) and the general story of teens from all walks of life is a classic, the movie is far from funny. There are painfully dated lines (Barry Manilow's wardrobe), the "dramatic" parts aren't that dramatic and there's been a glut of recent high school films that surpass it (my binkie Napoleon, Mean Girls, Can't Hardly Wait to name three). And worst of all is Judd Nelson. He is virtually unwatchable and his tough guy of a character is so beyond outdated that it is hysterical (there just aren't "skids" anymore people).

And that got me to thinking. To this girl, this movie is ANCIENT. It came out a full seven years before she was born. That may as well make it Citizen Kane to her.

Think about the year you were born. For me, that was 1974. Now go back seven years from said birth year. That puts me at 1967.

In 1967, there was no baseball playoffs, just the World Series. There were no Walkmans, let alone iPods. U2 were just recently gametes. No one had heard of something as simple as Pong. The Cosby Show and Family Ties were decades away. Hell, even Jaws and it's comical mechanical shark was too futuristic (it arrived nine years later). And wikipedia was a word that would have got you put into special ed classes if you said it too often. Only there weren't special ed classes either. And heres a car from 1967:


I'd rather have a club foot than be seen driving in that piece.

On the pop culture scene, The Graduate, In Cold Blood, Bonnie and Clyde, and In The Heat of the Night were big films of that year. I've seen all four. $50 and a six pack pf PBR Talls wouldn't get me to sit through one of them right now.

Have you seen a television show from 1967? You probably have... For about five seconds because some of the shows that were on in 1967 were Hogan's Heroes, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Carol Burnett Show, and Beverly Hillbillies.

Those shows aren't good.

And it's not that they are not good because they are old, they are not good because they are not good. Just as, upon further review, The Breakfast Club is not good.

I frequently get in this argument with people, especially when it comes to music. Because a song or band is old and was an essential part of our youth, doesn't mean it was good. I bet the first time your older brother gave you Foreigner, 4 (add "Urgent" to the songs I immediately switch off), you loved it. Not so much because you liked the music , but more because you liked the fact that your brother was actually being nice to you and not giving you a charlie horse (or drowning you in the pool, right Molly and Mike?). But have you listened to it in comparison to the music that is out these days? These guys wouldn't open for Cold War Kids, let alone headline a tour in 2008.

Because if you can push aside for a few minutes all the nostalgia that comes with something old, you may realize that these movies, TV shows, songs, bands, cars, video game systems, and gadgets were just plain bad.

And so that young lady in my class doesn't hate The Breakfast Club strictly because it's old. She hates it because it's bad and unfunny. The actors are of no relevance to her and Don't You Forget About Me is a song she may or may not have heard covered on One Tree Hill. Instead of being the geek icon that he was in the 80s, to her Anthony Michael Hall is just some old dude that hasn't been in a relevant movie in twenty years (although he was seen pissing off a balcony in Entourage recently). Molly Ringwald is no one to her and Emilio Estevez? C'Mon. She probably knows his dad better from those re-runs of West Wing.

I wrote in a very early post that old TV shows on DVD should not be watched because they aren't good. The same can be said for all pieces of pop culture, not just TV shows. And while old isn't always bad ("So Lonely", Iggy Pop, 2001: A Space Odyssey, To Kill A Mockingbird, "Take Another Piece of My Heart", Monopoly), so much of what we loved is really, REALLY bad.

Take for instance Atari. I've had a habit of buying for Playstation old Atari games (just to give you a sense of the memory on those old school cartridges, you can get about fifty games on one Playstation CD-ROM) and you know what? They suck. There's a reason why people invented Intellivision, Colecovision, Nintendo, Sega, genesis, N64, Playstation, and XBox. Why? Because each of these were way better than their old, outdated, worthless predecessor!

And just as we understand that this is a GOOD thing when it comes to technology, we should also understand that it is a GOOD thing when it comes to entertainment too. Because while three guys slapping each other and poking one another's eyes may have been funny at some point in our lives, I'm certainly glad we progressed from that to Ferris Bueller's Day Off (still weathers time), to Pulp Fiction, to Napoleon Dynamite, to Flight of the Conchords.

But guess what? I like lots of old things, like Seinfeld. This past May marked the tenth anniversary of Seinfeld ENDING! Can you believe that? For anyone in high school, that Thursday night when no one got the button joke means absolutely nothing! Neither, frankly, does the return of 90210. Why? because to a teenager, Jennie Garth and Shannon Doherty are just two old beat chicks moving staggeringly close to cougar status. They are part of no current drinking games as they were to many of us in college and teenagers certainly have no idea what the phrase "Donna Martin graduates" means.

So the next time I make a Frank Constanze joke and it falls flat (as it did the other day), I need to realize that- in the words of good ole Constanza... It's not them, it's me.

I need to start making Gossip Girl references and instead of talking about the hotness of a now 43 year old Brad Pitt, I need to say how dreamy The Jonas Brothers are. I need to get it together because my circa 1997 jokes are really not good and you know why?

It's because I'm old.

7 comments:

  1. I suppose your article speaks to the definition of pop culture as in it's popular now, but won't stand the test of time. In about 2years you'll be telling us how CWKs suck and The National can't stand up to their early success... oh, and how you knew Obama wasn't going to be a good President, but voted for him anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that girl might know Molly Ringwald because she's now the mother on the Family Channel's The Secret Life of the American Teenager.

    Also, Matt and I were JUST saying 2 days ago how OLD Swingers looks! And that's only '96!

    You can talk to students about Lost, like I do...oh...wait...you refuse to watch the best show on television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If mike is MJ.....I find it extremely amusing that he responds to every post....probably typing it as the blogger is in the very same room as he types....which leads to a good point of what was so much better in 1967 as it is now......an actual verbal communication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Matt! I totally agree...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did some of you miss what I was saying?!?

    A few responses...

    Firstly, why you bringing politics into this Matt? Stop hanging out with cops! If Obama is elected president, your life will not change one iota. Same with McCain.

    And my larger point with pop culture is that now we SHOULD BE ABLE to recognize what is good and what will stand the test of time. That is why I like The National so much. They are not Sugar Ray, Smashmouth, or Reel Big Fish. Carolina Liar, while having a nice song on the radio, will not stand the test of time. Ergo, I will not drive four hours to see them. So I totally disgree with you Matt and anonymous poster. Stuff now CAN stand the test of time. In fact, in this media saturated world, it's way harder than it used to be to stand the test of time but Cold War Kids, Inside Man, and 3:10 To Yuma will. Because they are good, independent of a current trend. Entourage and How I met Your Mother- two shows I love- won't because of their place in time.

    And The National are the best band of all time. Better than Zeppelin, the Doors, Pearl Jam, The Beatles and even Oasis (who are better than The Beatles). End of story.

    Foreigner and The Breakfast Club are Sugar Ray and Smashmouth... But because it is not trendy to shit on them, we don't, even though they are not good. And did you not notice that I mentioned good old stuff? It's not about old or new, it's about good or bad and how our vision gets clouded by life memories...

    Next, I do not "refuse to watch" Lost, Gees!!! I think it's a great idea for a show and it is probably awesome. I am very consistent with serial shows... I don't like having to sit through what could amount to hundreds of hours of writer filler to get a result. Now, obviously, I know and understand the medium of television and how it works. And I get why people like it. I'm certainly not splitting the atom at 9 on a Thursday night! But I always lost interest in The X Files, Twin Peaks, 24, and The Sopranos simply because the format is not for me, not that the shows are bad. They are unbelievable ideas, but because it is a business to make money, they need to drag it out. Imagine if at the start of Michael Clayton you saw the car blow up, then had to sit through eight years of "the others" and big holes in the ground and other plot elements that were clearly not in the original vision of the show?!? I bet Lost is awesome. I've said that all along. It's just not for me. I don't like three hour movies, let alone eight year television shows...

    And MJ is Molly, Hayes. Mike and I talk on the couch all the time, usually while feeding one another gummi lifesavers...

    Swingers looks old as shit, but because there have not been any stories about guys at that transition age, it weathers time. The Breakfast Club has been surpassed... But the fashion and music certainly are dated... Seven came out a year before and still is absolutely timeless...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I hit a nerve... must be on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always fall victim to this...especially with our wonderful health related lifetime movies. The kids say, "oh man, is this wicked old..." and I look at the case and see 1996 and say, "No!" its not. Then I put it in and think, "holy shit, this is old..." I figure since it came out when I was in HS, its still current... haha. I think that is an example of denial.

    ReplyDelete